Tuesday, June 17, 2014

"I'm right where God wants me"



I have a college degree, i graduated six years ago, only five days after my son was born. I've had questions and comments about it because I have chosen to be a stay at home mom.The first wasn't directed at me but spoken to someone else when they thought I couldn't hear them. The second was a question I recently was asked by a friend. 

1. "She didn't do anything with her degree."
2. "You have a degree? What are you doing/" 


Yes, I have a college degree, but to say that my staying home with my four children and homeschooling them is "doing nothing with it" makes no sense to me. And, "what AM I doing?" well lets just think about both of those for a minute. 

I spend my days caring for four children (and often times more since I offer child care to friends). I homeschool them, cook, clean, spend time outside, mediate arguments and discipline when needed. To say that what I'm doing isn't using my college degree doesn't quite work. I do more things in a days time than I can list off the top of my head. 

Does not holding a paying job mean I'm not using what I learned? I learned a lot in my education classes that I still use with my children as I'm teaching them and as I guide them through disagreements or other issues that arise.

 I've learned through my college education, facts that I would not know about had I not taken those classes. In one class I learned of the issues in third world countries, of young girls being sold to brothels and children digging through junk yards in order to find food. Had I not learned these things I wouldn't have the compassion for them that I do because I would not know that it existed. 

So, what exactly am I doing? I am exactly where God wants me to be! Sure I could get a job, send my children to public school, see them in the evenings for a few hours before sending them off to bed and do it all again the next day. There's nothing wrong with that if that's the path God has chosen for you. 

Six years ago when I was denied the opportunity to do my student teaching, I realized something major. I learned that God wanted me right here, at home, for my children. He wanted me to be the one to train them and teach them His word



Deuteronomy 6:6-9 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.
 He wanted me to follow out these verses, not just in the evenings when we have a few short hours together. He wanted me to be here with them all the time, teaching, loving, guiding them at home. It's not for everyone and I hold no judgement for those who do work outside the home. This is the path God has asked me take and I'm perfectly happy following it! 


I think the next time somebody asks me what I'm doing or why I never used my college degree, I'll tell them "I am using it and I'm completely happy that I'm right where God wants me!" 


What do you tell people when you get comments like this? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10